Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Wednesday Roundtable Squeeze-On: Best Food-Themed Show on Television

Lunchtime again, and my mind is wandering to food. Perhaps I'm the only one here (although I doubt it), but one of my favorite tv channels is Food Network (FN, or sometimes, FN HD). My favorite two times to watch FN are: (1) while I make a weekday dinner in the kitchen, I put it on in the background in the living room, and (2) Saturday afternoons, while trying to come up with ideas for what to grill for dinner. Some of the shows are instructional, entertaining and inspiring, but others make me want to SMIF so that the last "Bam!" I will ever have to hear will be from a .22 pistol.

I tend to place shows into one of three categories: (1) instructional, for the do-it-at-home chef (often varying levels of difficulty depending on the cook's experience and time available to devote to one meal), (2) competition shows (i.e. Throwdown w/ Bobby Flay, Iron Chef, Top Chef, Next FN Star, FN Challenge, Hell's Kitchen, etc.), and (3) restaurant, travel, or discovery oriented shows, which may share stuff like the best taquerias in Baltimore, how Dippin' Dots are made, or, for some reason, a stupid ass show called Ace of Cakes which is essentially a poofy version American Chopper with cakes.

I tend to find that the 3rd category of shows is the least engaging; Mark Summers should stick to Double Dare, and I really don't care to watch Guy Fieri eat a cheesesteak while wearing a stupid frosted tips hairdo and upside down and backwards sunglasses. I also don't take much interest in the competition shows; that's what sports are for, you nancy boys. However, category 1, the informational, how-to shows, can be awesome. I have frequently used recipes, or parts of recipes, from shows like Boy Meets Grill and Barefoot Contessa to make awesome meals at home (although I somewhat detest Michael Chiarello, for his general poofiness and Sonoma lifestyle).

The food tv personality who makes the food which I'm most inclined to make at home has gotta be Bobby Flay, particularly what he makes on Boy Meets Grill. I also like the show Good Eats, because I find that the zaniness of Alton Brown drives my roommate out of the living room so that I can actually turn on the Cardinals game without complaint. Those are probably my favorite two shows, with honorable mentions going to Everyday Italian (for obvious reasons), Molto Mario (is that even on anymore?), and Barefoot Contessa. People who can gfy: Rachael Ray, Michael Chiarello, Emeril, the Neelys, and Sandra Lee.

That's what I've got for now, anyone else have an opinion?

7 comments:

  1. As you might expect, I agree on pretty much all counts. That stupid cake show really pisses me off, especially since the cakes are barely even cake. Might as well build that sht out of legos os styrofoam. Anyway wtf wants a cake that looks like a 1950's drive in movie theater. KY cake makers.

    Most of the competition shows suck also, especially since I'm probably never going to have to find 12 ways to prepare goat balls from the Himalayas in an hour with every single herb, spice and condiment lying around and every kind of cooking vessel sitting in my cabinets. Throwdown with Bobby Flay is ok though, because Bobby Flay is ht and the foods tend to be fairly easy to replicate at home. Plus the food is good, practical stuff and you can always decide which way to prepare it.

    As far as the first category described, I agree on pretty much all counts. However Alton Brown has sorta run out of topics to feature on the show. I don't need 30 minutes devoted to granola or yogurt. Also his actual receipes tend to be ingredient, time and infrastructure heavy. To make a pancake I shouldn't need a cinder block, two cups of red wine vinegar and cast iron morter and pestle, for chrissakes. Just make the freakin pancake! Anyway that's only true of his more recent body of work - earlier episodes were highly informative and entertainly presented.

    Bobby Flay obviously the best on all counts - food, grilling focus, ease of preparation, filming location, actress wife and rock star status.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two other observations:

    1. Iron Chef (the original) > Iron Chef America, hands down.

    2. Rachael Ray was actually tolerable, and perhaps even appealing, circa 2004, before she become a superstar. She actually did a spread in FHM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One further other observation:

    1. Grimace was, is, and always will be madly in love with Rachael Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd watch Gargoyles over any of these shows, 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally really like the "3rd type"- travel/discovery oriented shows, I just think FN hasn't done a great job with it's lineup. Man vs. Food on the Travel Channel is a solid show, and Three Sheets, which was on some random station at my old place, was tremendous. FN occassionally puts on those "best hamburger" or "most unique sausage" specials, right? Or is that TRAVEL too? Either way, those are good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huevos: Do you like No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain? It's on the Travel Channel (w/ Man vs. Food). I think it's an interesting show, and the host is well traveled and smart, but for some reason I can't help wish that pufferfish he ate actually was poisonous.

    I'm surprised no defenders of Top Chef have spoken up. There's usually 1 in every crowd

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've actually never seen Anthony Bourdain. I've definitely heard of him, but just haven't come across his show. Ever since I got DirectTV, I haven't made the effort to figure out the stations beyond USA/TNT/TBS/FX/COM. If he's ever made a guest appearance on Law & Order or in a Tyler Perry commercial though, I definitely know him.

    ReplyDelete